Friday, May 20, 2011

Create

Today in my eternal families class I was reintroduced to Dieter F. Uchtdorf's address to the women of the church regarding creativity.  I know the video is directed mostly at women, but I still really love it.  The combination of rousing music and inspiring images makes me excited and anxious to go do something that hasn't been done before.

I love how President Uchtdorf explains that saying, "I'm not creative," is a fallacy and a short-sell to our divine potential.  As direct spirit descendants of God the Father, we are endowed with a portion of his creativity that, as we "trust and rely upon the Spirit," will increase.

In the spirit of creativity, here's a poem I wrote when I visited my grandparents one cold, snowy weekend.  They live a mile or so away from a train crossing, and the sounds of train horns late at night bring such feelings of nostalgia, reminding me of those nights when I'd fall asleep under a musty old quilt on top of a lumpy old mattress, train horns blasting quietly in the distance.

Train Horns
January 28, 2011

Now I lay me down to sleep,
Off to Dreamland, still and deep.
Silent river, frozen lake,
Softest snow is in the make.

Called back from slumber, briefest pause
In my dreams but ho! no flaws!
5-chimes in distance raise me up
And deeply fill my drowsy cup.

Now back into the land of Nod
I go, but no more have I trod.
For now, aboard a silver train
Go I unto that yawning vein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, mmmmkay? I allow anonymous comments, but not anonymous (or even attributed) douchebaggery. The Gay Mormon Pioneer's tolerance for hate and venom are incredibly low, but his love of communication and debate are high, so have an opinion, but be kind and gentle when you share it.

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...