Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pride?

A friend and I were texting each other last night while I was studying in the library. I had my earphones in so I didn't realize that my phone was jingling every few minutes for awhile, so naturally, every time it rang, I'd get dirty looks for not having my phone on silent.  After I realized this, I told my friend what a troublemaker I was being and he laughed a bit about how gays always just have to be the center of attention, to which I replied, "Loud and proud, baby.  Except when in a library full of [church school] students."

It got me thinking a little on the subject of pride.  I'm not ashamed of who I am at all; in fact, there are days when I genuinely like being gay.  But still, it's not easy to be out or open among church members.  Plus, I'm not particularly proud of gay culture as a whole.  The promiscuity and drug culture stereotypes we live with are stereotypes for a reason.  By no means are they rules for us, but even so, you can see how being out might be kind of difficult among members of the church, whether I acted on it or not.

Then, today, I found these.  I think I'm in love.  I'm pretty sure I could rock them with the belt buckle below, which I already own, and be doing my part to passively show the world that I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam.

Okay, it has nothing to do with pride.  It's the enjoi logo.  Still, it's a rainbow, right?

Like Amber has expressed, someday I think that the members of the church will be understanding enough for me to be able to be my whole self around them without fear of judgement or criticism.

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine recently invited me to join her at a 'Pride' event that will be taking place soon. My initial response was that "I wouldn't be seen dead".
    I have been 'Out' for the past 11 years and in all that time I have never been to a pride event. It's not that I'm not proud of who I am. Because I am very much proud to be the man I am. I find it much harder to find pride within the society that being gay has placed me. I cannot find pride in the hedonistic lifestyle. You rightly say that it's a stereotyped world, and that's for good reason. Cliches and stereotypes almost always start their lives as realities. It certainly true of gay society. I know because I've been there.

    But maybe I'm far to prideful. 'Gay Pride' is about more than wearing next to nothing a flouncing down a street. Surely it's supposed to be about acceptance and tolerance, of love and understanding. For some it is. Though it seemingly looks as though for the majority it is about excess and exhibitionism.

    So I think I'll stay home and find pride in something else.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, mmmmkay? I allow anonymous comments, but not anonymous (or even attributed) douchebaggery. The Gay Mormon Pioneer's tolerance for hate and venom are incredibly low, but his love of communication and debate are high, so have an opinion, but be kind and gentle when you share it.

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...