Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fambly Home Evuhning...

In my student ward, we do family home evening by dividing into a group of one guys' apartment and two girls' apartments. It's kinda fun, although I prefer FHE when it's done ward-wide.

Anyway, last night, one of my FHE sisters gave a great lesson about adversity and letting go of the past and moving forward, which was awesome in and of itself. I know I've posted before about that principle, so I'll leave it alone a little bit.

The interesting part came from a conversation I had with that same FHE sister later that night. She was asking me what I thought about the FHE sisters from the other apartments (I think they're unique, interesting, fun and beautiful [RIP Oxford comma]) and she said that she's pretty sure they don't like her. I couldn't argue. There is some tension between the two apartments in our family for a reason that is difficult to place. I think it's sheer competition; even though no one from either apartment has expressed interest in any of us guys, it's just difficult to be around other people without "sizing them up." I remember that when I was in an FHE group of two guys to every girl; the guys didn't talk with each other nearly as much as they did with the girls. There wasn't any overt drama, nor is there in this situation, but there was just... tension.

As we were talking, it reminded me of the two-word sermon from the April 2012 conference. When dealing with tension, insecurity or distrust, we should just "stop it!" My good FHE sister was agonizing about what she could do to be more likable when that same insecurity would probably make her less attractive to those she wanted to have a good rapport with. Giving attention to the tension feeds it, regardless of your motivations.

This semester, I'm living with really cool guys. Unlike past semesters, there's precious little drama about who's eating whose food and why didn't the dishes get done and so on. But leave it to me to find something to be annoyed about. I have a roommate who rarely interacts with us unless another roommate is there. The rest of us are accessory friends to that one real friend, useless unless he's around. That bugs me. It makes me assume that he's out to get me. It makes me paranoid and try too hard to be nice to him or be paranoid and not try at all to be nice to him, all because of this perceived slight I see in his demeanor.

Cue two-word sermon, and watch tension go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, mmmmkay? I allow anonymous comments, but not anonymous (or even attributed) douchebaggery. The Gay Mormon Pioneer's tolerance for hate and venom are incredibly low, but his love of communication and debate are high, so have an opinion, but be kind and gentle when you share it.

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...